Saturday, November 23, 2019

coming /going

In my quest to reduce gear and acquire cash, I've reversed the process yet again.
I hate that!

The K-5 body has been good as sold more than once now. All buyers have sought just the body - no pretty matching silver lenses or 18-50 weather-sealed kit zoom mark IV. With that in mind the bargain offer of a silver K200d caught my eye, and I picked it up. (I nearly bought one of these before, but the silver K-5 caught my attention at the time.)

I've owned a K200d before; it's a classic CCD camera with 10 Mpixels, four AA batteries, no video mode, and many useful features at once - including weather seals. That's always a comfort in this climate! And this new/old WR kit cost me under $85, plus a bit for shipping; that's a tough bargain to beat in any format. It also does not compete against the m43 gear I own for video, low-light focus or other bonus features, so each has a specific place in my kit.

Ironically, the 18-50 lens focuses silently but the K200d shutter was developed long before the semi-silent era of dSLR shutters began. If I need silent mode it will have to be done with the GX7!

A K200d Greatest Hit - Mukilteo Light from the ferry to Whidbey Island

And yes, one more item. 
My wife really liked the idea of Live Time/Composite modes for some images (as do I) but the budget made this unlikely. I browsed off and on for a few months in search of an [e-PLx where x>6] body and found nothing amazing. I then relented and went back in time, to the one EM body that I liked - an EM10 mark one "Classic". Sure enough an ex body was available for under $150. "coming soon" :[eek!]:

My OM∙D EMx experience began with the 10 Classic, and should have ended there. But oh no, I must have weather seals - ergo EM5 Classic - which for reasons unclear did not fit me well. So maybe the 10 Mark II was .. nope, sorry.

It should be interesting to see how I feel about it this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment