Saturday, July 4, 2020

SP 20-40mm, Postscript


My gamble paid off nicely.
The 20-40mm Tamron was priced to sell in part due to its inability to autofocus. The test that failed was not described, so I took a chance - even if AF did not work it would be a useful lens, and its Minolta-mount version rated highly on dyxum.com (for everything except flare, hence my joy about an included hood!). 

AF issues are another Nikon special feature, as some cameras in their digital lineup do not have AF motors in the camera body. All Pentax bodies retain that motor so it's a new thing for me to factor in while shopping. Since the seller would not accept returns, it's a risk - and the price reflected that.

When the lens arrived a quick AF test told me that all was well on my D600, and the test used a body with no motor. Yay! A night test in a nearby parking lot produced simply amazing flare.. oh well. Flare is now a feature that modern images usually get with AI-enhanced software, but I get it free! It's less of an issue when with sources are far enough out of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment