Wednesday, January 6, 2021

on to 2021

 Weather in December was a very average rainfall month, and zero actual snow fell. I did have some interesting patterns splattering on my windshield once, but that was it. We ended 2020 with a bit over 80 inches of rainfall, so no rain-forest designation again. Pretty close though!

In the viral battles.. we're still losing. So many travelers for Thanksgiving and then Christmas caused levels to spike as parties spread new, more virulent mutations all over the world. LA county is straining mightily and ambulances wait to offload for hours as ICU beds are pretty much filled. So very sad and frustrating. Two vaccines were approved and many batches shipped, but optimistic targets were missed all over the world. The USA goal of 20-million arms was closer to 2 than 3 mil. Hopefully another vaccine variant or two will be approved, and more people trained to inject them so the healthcare system doesn't shatter. Given the priority customers (health care workers, aged folk, essential workers of all sorts¹) it could be several months before we can all gather and hug - gently though, due to our sore arms.

 Politics have been difficult to watch as well. Other than to mention today's atrocities, I'll go no further. Yes, today the Capital was invaded and congressional spaces occupied. Ugly and decidedly undemocratic responses to mere political fortune. It's more than that - though it shouldn't be.

 Christmas was a pleasant respite from the mad times. We both got some nice gifts and relaxed at home, sad not to see family but nice to be unencumbered with obligations. Plenty of holiday movies, Nutcracker listening and cozy times on the hill-top. And pumpkin pie!

 The camera kit has now been slimmed down to about what it was four months ago. Actually it's become what I intended four months ago², but stranger things have happened during my ten years of perpetual change. Now to find a way to lock down that kit so nothing moves... wish me luck. ³

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

¹ I'm no longer on that list; I departed the Home Depot freight team at the end of  '20. A few tighter months will ensue, living off holiday checks, a bit of economic stimulus and new spending habits. Also from a few photo-gear offloads to finalize the kit reconstruction.

² my September big-camera choice was an EM1.ii or EM5.iii - but they were both out of my $reach. I decided to switch my big-little brands and hit some rather better deals. Two months later the price on used EM1.ii bodies had fallen by over $200, and I stumbled into a bargain GX85 to boot. Winner!

³ too late. Even 24 hours was too much to ask! After assisting a GX1 user on a forum site and praising the camera, I recognized that it has everything I need in a small backup. While I like the tip screen, internal charging and other GX85 features, .. the GX1 is just a great fit for me. So I found a deal at KEH and will send off several non-µ43 lenses and the '85 for a silver GX1. Now to find that key and throw it away, so the system truly locks!

No comments:

Post a Comment