Friday, May 7, 2021

thoughts on eM1/eM5ii


The eM1 Classic and eM5ii arrived the same day. After all the research and readjustment of my swap (eM1ii for Nikon –er em5ii –errr Ni .. nope em5ii) the original M1 is getting most of the attention. It was a tremendous bargain and most likely does all that I reasonably ‘need’ for this hobby. As long as both are here though, let’s find out for sure!

Differences are interesting, in part due to the lack of them. The sensors are different, yet DxO tests show them to be nearly identical in their particular tests. Neither sensor keeps up with the eM1ii, both are a pinch better than the GX7. Both eM bodies have 'better' IS within, a single memory slot, weather seals and no AA filter. 

With that out of the way, what do I have to choose from on the Oly side?

  1. Phase detect AF (eM1) though not for every AF situation

  2. Tilt screen (eM1) is my preference by a decent margin
  3. Battery life is better on eM5ii thanks to its specific quick-nap mode
  4. Grip is superior on eM1 without supplemental aids
  5. eM1 is a bit larger/heavier.. but the better grip is a part of that
  6. Video specs are substantially more versatile on eM5ii
  7. eM5ii is silver.. OK I’m reaching now
  8. In my particular case the eM1 is over $250 cheaper!

So of these first-blush points, what matters to me? 

Numbers 2 and 4 are big. My 70-300mm 4Thirds zoom might appreciate #1, though it’s cdaf-friendly by design. I’ve fallen for video specs before and shot no videos to speak of - so #6 isn’t as relevant as I pretend it is. Both cameras feel fine as to bulk, so #5 is a draw. With three batteries for the eM1, item #3 isn’t a big deal, and I can fine-tune some time-out settings too.

So items 2, 4 and especially 8 provide my answer. Therefore, unless I am disappointed in shooting with the eM1, it’s the better of the two for me. And if it's not a great fit, it's hard to imagine the 5ii being the right answer either - but it can give me its best attempt and possibly win out.

Given the preferences I’ve just enumerated, the recent µ43 system offerings are generally evolving away from me. Tilt screens are being phased out on higher-end bodies; I can adapt but what do I gain besides better battery life, a few more pixels and more video features that I don’t use? 

Looking beyond µ43, the S-series Panasonic offers me either a huge body with dual-tilt screen (S1 – nice) or more compact S5 with the flip-out screen. Nikon isn’t pursuing me with the Z series since my lenses are not autofocus on that system now, and the Z50 has no internal iStab. Perhaps a tilt-screen d7500 would entice me in the future, but its like-new price isn't enticing. For $1k I can get the Pentax K-1 of my dreams, after all - though that particular dream has waned a bit. So really, I'm feeling like a dead end is looming. It may be that a dumb Fuji (meaning less 'retro' and using virtual control dials) with small WR primes is my answer. Could that be so? Shocking, if true.. I've considered that as the only thing less interesting than a Sony! :^o 

Or I can cherry pick from the many used eM1 Classic bodies and carry on for another dozen years.

Nothing wrong with the choices I have - just interesting..


No comments:

Post a Comment