Sunday, October 10, 2021

Fuji|X update - any future in it for me?

After nearly a month with the x-T100 I've got it set up to my satisfaction. Well, almost. Seldom does one settle in that quickly with an entirely new system! 

Images look nice with this camera and the 15-45xc lens, sharp and appropriately colorful. Focus speed is decent, not amazing but not much speed difference between this and the em1 Classic. It would be nice to check with telephoto, but nothing exists in my budget other than adapted PK lenses. No IS inside for adapted lenses, so blur is a risk. 

The µ43 system is not showing me an upgrade path. The only tilt-screen µ43 camera with weather seals is what I own now: the 8-year-old e-M1v1. Both OM-D and Lumix cameras will do IS, and weather seals are fairly common - but at the price of a flipout screen, which I've learned that I don't enjoy in the least. So for IS within and weather protection, µ43wins - but the Fuji aps.C sensor will outperform Oly (though not by a huge margin), gets decent battery life, and can be charged in-body while retaining (and improving upon!) the tip screen that I prefer. 

I'm not enthusiastic about xTrans color array, nor for retro looks that do not align with the operational memory that comes with 12 years of dSLR use. Weather seals are hard to find below a high-mid body type and definitely not for low-range lenses. The path is slightly better than µ43 though, with xT3±1 body holding to the dual-tilt screen in a modified form. The xH1 also does so, and adds internal IS. So that's a plus.

+Oly: affordable ibis, wx seals, live imaging tricks, 4:3 format plus 1:1 3:2 hd. 
+Fuji: sensor (size and resolution), screen double-tilt, battery life, 4k>8Mpx still images a la Lumix. 
+both: compact, tilt screens, interesting lenses. 
- both: moving to flipout screens and high-end items. Lumix is doing this too.


Rumor has it that 3rd-party lenses are soon to arrive for Fuji, as they made their lens-contact protocols public. That would really help with the Fuji budget and telephoto options .. some day. Sigma plans are important for me to stay in this format since Fuji has no telephoto options in my price range. OK Tamron &c could also play a role; we'll know soon what these lens suppliers have in store for the fX mount.


2 comments:

  1. Sigma announcement next week on "new products".. perhaps I shall know my Fuji future that soon! :√)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the 'new products' were just the 18-50/2.8, so not really something to supplement my 15-45 :^)
    Maybe next announcement..

    ReplyDelete