Sunday, April 3, 2022

sports 'n weather update

SPORTS: After numerous years of not-quite, 2022 is looking like the year I resume my golf hobby. I've abused a few buckets of golf balls, practiced my putting stroke and wiped the rust off my long-forsaken chrome-plated shafts. I've even sent the irons in to have the grips replaced! Though I can't recall doing so, the grips of my metal/woods apparently were replaced in the not-so-recent past.

I've lived at this location nearly eight years but only played the front nine of one of the two local courses. That location also has a chip&putt 6-hole layout - which I haven't yet played. This feels like the year to revisit these old haunts. In the good old days I had an eagle at the local place, holing out a 140-yard iron on a par four; perhaps seeing that hole again will reawaken some good swing thoughts!

Clearly the long layoff means I have no handicap - but the memory of holding one near 13 around 1990. So thirty years ago I was pretty good! By now my aging swing needs to be supplemented by my vast experience and profound knowledge.. sounds like I need to get used to a mid-20s handicap for a goal.

- - - - - - - 

WEATHER: March was our first below-average rainfall month since August, though we still reached 94%. The next 36 hours are expected to contribute strongly to our 5" April average, and the forecast fetch of moisture comes from the Phillipines via Japan - so I'd expect two inches to be reasonable. Satellite image below was assembled at 7:20 pacific (daylight?) time. Impressive, but it will buckle and rearrange itself before Japan's weather hits our coast.. somewhere?



Also, we're within two inches of a slightly different rainfall record. The wet/dry seasons here (as everywhere else) are not often tied to calendar months. It's quite common for late October and early April to be damp, so I calculate our precip not just by Oct-Mar but also 10-16 through 4-15. Four years ago was the wettest of our six documented years at this site - but we're catching up!

No comments:

Post a Comment