Monday, October 17, 2022

the 'new' thing

The gx85 triggered a kit avalanche: a small-lens μ43 kit has revealed itself, and the E-M1 and its super kit lens became less valuable relative to other possibilities. After some browsing (an ever-present danger for me), the eM1, 14-150, 30mm macro and a fine 55-300 Pentax left the building. 

In exchange, a Sony 'alpha' A7 mk.ii and 28-75mm OSS lens have  arrived! The pair has settled into a case and been fitted for a shoulder strap. The A7's relatively low grade brought the price within trading distance, and its features are winners for what I do: in-body IS, tilt screen (not touch enabled), a large sensor without massive pixel count, HD video without cropping from sensor field of view, many customizing options and USB charging. I didn't know how many clicks had been put on the shutter, but sub-28k is a nice low number. It also means that companies like TTArtisan, Sigma and Tamron make lenses for the system - unlike Pentax K, sadly. My K-s2 days might be numbered.. but my K-mount lenses definitely remain in play!

This gives me two µ-USB-chargeable cameras (yay for power banks!), and three distinctly different feature sets and sensor sizes! 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A few optical dominoes fell rather swiftly, once I found an la-EA3 Sony/E to Minolta/A adapter. 

For compactness I went with the bargain from my new friends, a TTArtisan 50mm f/2, which will arrive by slow boat across the wide Pacific. Hopefully TTA will offer a few more f/2 bargains soon!*

Another boat will carry an A-mount copy of the Tamron SP A005 70-300mm with its EA3 compatible USD focus motor. I'd already ordered a Maxxum 100-300 Apo + Maxxum 70-210/3.5-4.5 (2nd-gen 'lite beercan'), but the EA3 can't autofocus with them. We'll pick at least one winner from my three fine choices.

And for close shots, 10+16mm extension tubes (bright blue ones!) are on the way.

My plan for now is to get 20 and 35mm Tamrons at some point*, and have a kit of 20-35-50 primes (plus 85-135 Pentax), and the two zooms.  

I have no proof of more need than these: not now, at least.


* if the TTArtisan 21mm doesn't persuade me!



No comments:

Post a Comment