Tuesday, February 28, 2023

enough already.

I've been through the wringer with the prospective α7 kit. I ordered an α7ii and Minolta lenses, and then picked up an ea3 and ea4 adapter to find what works best for me. 

The answer, sadly, is now None of the Above

My brief dabble with an α7Rii seemed to focus with the ea4.. but it had to go to pay medical bills. Now I find the α7ii +ea4 won't focus the Minolta lenses; it just racks from end to end and randomly allows me to take an image, but only one focused to infinity. So whether it's a bad setting on the 7ii or a malfunction in the ea4 adapter, I now have no autofocus capabilities. Yes it's a fun camera with the Pentax primes, but the eM1 now has two excellent AF zooms (Lumices 12-60 +100-300) and a dual PD+CD focus system as good as the 7ii can match.

As to those Pentax lenses.. well I still have the K-s2 body with its unhappy solenoid. While no match for the Sony 36x24 image possibilities, it's a fine little camera - and will be more so once the solenoid is replaced. It can autofocus the 17-28 fisheye and Σs 28-105 +70-300, even when exposure is in M mode with the solenoid issue. And once that foul part is swapped out, the tiny 18-50 and 70 Limited will be play with full automation!

And then we have the happy µ43 kit: the eM1 and two zooms do everything quite well and play cheerfully with the Pentax primes. I even have the .71x PK speed-booster to create more lens options!* 

I believe it's time to cut the energy I'm wasting on Sony and A-mount.







*e.g. the DA70 f/2.4 Ltd is also a 50mm f/1.6

No comments:

Post a Comment