Saturday, January 18, 2020

Trying a tech shift

I'm about to try something that surprises me!


Plenty of watch-type assistants are available now - as do genuine phone watches! 
I picked up a sub-$20 model which can take both a Sim card and microSD. It may work poorly as a standalone phone in some low-coverage areas, but if so it can just be tethered to my current phone. The microSD card makes for easy Bluetooth music playback, whether tethered or not; that could be useful at work!

When it arrives I'll explore the possibilities. I'm not certain that the SIM allows for more than data transfers, but wifi calling might function.. perhaps? I know for sure that facebook twitter and the like will Not be connected, as i will not allow such apps to intrude on my life uninvited. I also have no great sentiment for heart rate and other measurements, though steps are a good proxy for activity level.

The main advantage of a phone watch is that it will be crippled relative to a regular cell phone! Tiny screen + no 4G ability = no time wasted on apps and browsing. Limiting myself to just receiving phone calls and texts sounds mighty appealing. If this doesn't work perhaps I will mutilate my phone to that level instead?

More after the shipping break . .. ... .. . .. ... .. . .. ... .. . .. ... .. . .. ... .. . .. ... .. .

Well that didn't work - yet I have a watch anyway! Order was cancelled but my wife isn't a huge fan of the one I got her, so now it's mine. I have turned off messages and calls, so it's a smartwatch that counts steps and can do heart-rate checks. Maybe I'll turn on messages at some point. Its battery lasts about a week, which is nice, and the charging apparatus is easy compared to fitbit-style devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment