Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Is something missing in my 𝛍43 kit?

I took a few team photos recently (coming soon) of my 𝛍43 and Nikon kits. The small system is the most complete, with GX7, primes at 14-20-30-60mm (and that pixco 8mm fisheye) and zooms (14-42ii, 45-150 and 4Thirds 70-300). 

Hm, where's that EM10 that I picked up a few months ago?
Ah yes.. about that.

When browsing for a final piece of the Nikon puzzle I encountered something I'd been seeking for a while: a compact tan-and-silver camera body. I sought a tan GX85 in the past, but did not find one at a 'reasonable' price (by my miserly definition). Yet here was an EX condition ePL8, with all the features of the EM10 with fewer 'issues' and (apparently) a body style that I prefer. I dropped the EM10 as a trade option and the ePL8 is on its way.

Yes I lost the EVF, but the PL8 is the last Pen to accept clip-on VF, so it can be added later if needed. This camera should look great with the silver 20/1.7 or 14-42ii, and nice enough with the other lenses. It was not a straight-across trade, but it's a far more interesting camera to me than the OM∙D variant. I've learned the hard way (after 3-5 EM and G bodies) that compact rangefinder-types are more for me.

So how does it compare to the GX7, since its name is "one better" (according to Nigel Tufnel)? Well, it's a tradeoff: better stabilization that works with video, fewer video specs. Marginally better sensor, marginally inferior AF (perhaps) and no 'starlight AF' to EV-4 faintness. Still uses a touch screen, the Oly has live time/composite but lacks 1/8000 shutter speed and two control dials. No easy AF/MF switch that I like so much. So overall it will see less use, but it's a good camera in any case and will see some time in play!

Oh yeah, might as well finish our team introductions..
The Nikon set is also done to my satisfaction and beyond my needs - D600, 17/3.5 + 90/2.8 (1:1 capable) primes, 28-105 (no OpStab) and 70-300 VC zooms. Perhaps some day a wider stabilized zoom will happen, but the 28-105 with its 1:2 closeups and great image capabilities will do. 

Heck, once I get them out of the camera I'll just stick the team photos below this space. 
(insert Graham Chapman voice here): Wait for it -- ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment