Friday, June 5, 2020

New prime #2


My dealing of Pentax and redundant 𝛍43 gear was handled by Roberts/UsedPhotoPro. They did me a favor and sent funds through PayPal - fast and simple! At that time they didn't have any superwide primes in Nikon mount, but we agreed that Watch This Space! was the right thing to do. Used gear moves fast, especially during these viral days when higher priorities abound compared to spare gear.

Watch This Space -true enough.
Today I picked up an early-model Sigma AF 18mm prime. At f/3.5 it isn't blindingly fast, the distortion is corrected as well as 1982 could manage, and no coatings are quaint 20th-century. I expect it won't have a hood (confirmed on arrival). The price was quite right however, and buying a prime in this range instead of a zoom was my goal. I'd have preferred a 20/2.8D Nikon, but at >triple the price? - well no thank you. 
Some fun!

I also picked up a split-ND filter for the lens. Superwide lenses and polarizing filters are well known for the 'sky problem' - a lens this wide will shoot outside the polarizer's capability and lead to uneven blue skies. By choosing a split-ND instead one can reduce light in the sky or on the ground, as needed. In most cases though: who needs a filter anyway? 

A hood however.. that would be nice.
Hopefully at some point I can track down one of those!


No comments:

Post a Comment