Thursday, May 28, 2020

Reconstruction

The old kit was evaluated and virtual check is on the way. What now, we wonders?

As of now I've lined up a D600 and Nikkor 28-105D. No stabilization with that pair, but iso5000 is no longer a major drawback with a 36×24 sensor! I nearly won a 70-210D but lost out at the wire. Looking a bit further revealed a Tamron SP 70-300 VR (MARK II by today's nomenclature since it's not the earlier 1:2 macro model). For the price and features it's a good deal, although much bulkier than the 70-210D. Its bulk is similar to the Pentax 50-135 and I survived well enough..

So two decent zooms from 10+ years back, covering 28-300mm (yay no more mm/e conversions!). Next up?

A prime or two would be quite sufficient for me, preferably a sub-28mm and something from 85-100mm; that would let a 50mm lens in at some point and keep the large kit small as it were. That's what I want: now what's actually available?

My first choices would be a Nikkor 20/2.8D and 85/2D. Hm, something about the D series it seems.. Curiously enough other options are available for less than that 20. Such zooms as Nikon's 18-35 and other similar items, for example. I'd prefer a small prime though, we'll wait a while before making a call there.
While seeking ultrawide zooms I did a search on Quantaray, which was Sigma lenses relabeled for the immortal Ritz dealerships. The Q-ray 18-35 is really a bargain, but something else struck me first - a 90mm f/2.8 Quantaray macro lens. Oh that's right, Sigma made 90 macros just like Tamron once! This thing is smaller and lighter than the Tamron thanks to its design of 1:2 closeup +screw-on 1:1 adapter. It also has autofocus with a limiter switch, and was well liked in the early 2000s. 

I had hopes for a bargain on an 85mm f/2 or faster, weather seals and other over-budget miracles.
Oh well, this will do!


The adapter for 1:1 shooting feels familiar.. ah yes, it's just like the old Cosina 100/3.5 I owned many moons ago! Thankfully this lens is built to a higher standard; the 'plastic fantastic' Cosina felt like I could crush it in hand like a drinking cup! When the 1:1 adapter is added the lens can only shoot up close, so mostly I'd consider it a 1:2 lens for shooting 6" to infinity. No problem, the adapter can rest safely in a pocket for 'emergency use'.

p.s. the Quantaray 90 arrived, looking as new in original box, styrofoam packing and the screw-on 1:1 adapter. Such a deal!! No hood though, a common theme among re-badged Sigmas. First tests look excellent, and focus sound isn't bad - much more a whoosh than a Pentax grind. Quiet enough for me, and for complainers manual focus is pretty effective..

One prime down, one or two to go!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Later reflections - 
It could be that I've cornered myself a bit. My interest in weather seals, plus my superwide 18mm lens, makes the 24-85VR seem a pretty good fit in this kit compared to the 28-105D. Nothing that needs to happen soon, but a rubber gasket at the body would be a good idea for outdoor travel with a wx-resistant body. Just thinking aloud.. today at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment