Sunday, December 12, 2021

life happens.

 - as does death. 

65th anniversary, 2014

After a relatively brief transition, my mom has stepped into a new and better life. She was two weeks short of 99 years old, an amazing number by any standard. We siblings stayed with her overnight in turns at the end, and I left her bedside at 10:30 that morning, when my sister arrived. Mom left us twelve hours later, joining dad and all the other elder members of our family. We siblings and cousins now assume the mantle of family elders. 
Oh my.

She and my dad moved to assisted living about eight years ago. Dad turned 95 before he passed in 2015, after 70+ years of marriage. Both of them left with sound minds but nearly deaf; we shouted to them cheerfully on our many visits, and savored our countless blessings.

So many great memories throughout my nearly 65 years with this amazing couple! And if my memories stay with me as well as theirs did, they will last me for decades more - God willing.

self-captioned, 2010
Sara and Jan wedding, 2014

Covid times, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment