Thursday, March 17, 2022

Favorite cameras?

The voice of waaayyy too much experience speaks!

All of course my own opinions, and hence fairly off the common consensus. Yes have been warned.

Top three: k-5.iiS, nx300, gx7. All with ev-3 autofocus, two mirrorless with tilt touchscreens, two internally stabilized, one weather protected, and all decently small within their niches. At #4 I'd currently put the eM1 original.

How can I skip the subsequent models from Fuji/m43/Pentax, you ask? Hey, I warned you..

My favorites are at each brand's sweet spot, where nice improvements (USB charging, new sensor tech) clashed with my personal dislikes (flip screens and price hikes, mostly) and left me overextended financially and/or disappointed ergonomically.

Price is a big filter for my preferences. Fuji's x-T4 would be ideal if it were to drop $700 (which it won't for several years). Same for the G9 and higher OMD bodies with their flipout screens. In  other words I'm here a few years too soon for my wishes to be available at my prices.

Features I seek most, or miss most when I don't seek them:

  • Internal stabilization
  • Weather seals
  • Tilting touch-screen preferable to full flipout
  • Reasonable video specs, HD is just fine for now
  • Absurdly reasonable price!

Pentax is the hard answer. The K-1 is simply too much, but the ks2, k70 and KP have their appeal. Some day soon I will repair the defective K-s2 aperture solenoid (bane of the k30--70 era) and update my answer. In the meantime, using it in M mode with aperture rings yield quite nice results.


No comments:

Post a Comment