Tuesday, March 1, 2022

crushed.

Our new all-time wettest day lasted a mere fifty-five days. And it was beaten by 1½ inches.
The last day of February now takes primacy - by a seriously wide margin.


I recall when two inches was a really wet day in my life! 


It's worth noting that six of my top-eight are in 2020-22, with 2017 and 1996 being the other two. I have 34 days with over two inches, but only the top-5 are above 2.7 inches. My earliest wet record* is #20, on 11/24/60; JFK was soon to take the presidency, a turkey may have been in the oven - and we had 2.31" of rain.

Driving down the hill today I noticed that a tree that leaned over the road after our heavy snow is now gone, the rivulets and creeks are full and the rivers brown. And some new rivulets have riven the ground with fresh channels that are still crossing the pavement in places!

And so February ends at 186% of normal. Three days before we sat at 57% of normal. What a comeback. Including 3/1 our three-day total was 8.05 inches - and yes, that is also a record.

The daily rainfall mapped here was snipped from Cliff Mass' blog and shows the heaviest regional amounts from the deluge. The biggest number I see is Abernathy Mt at 8.64". Right next door, pretty much. That tells me that our measurement is as good as amateurs should expect, so after further review the record stands.

Hopefully for more than 55 days!

That's pretty safe, in fact, as every event on my top-38 has landed between September 14 and February 28. Time to dry out for six+ months!

Another fun fact - we are now above average through June 30th, by six inches. The dry season approaches, but it could stop raining 'til the 4th of July and we still wind up on the plus side.

Amazing.



*from my 1957 birth to 2014 I lived near the Portland Airport, and most of my time near Longview has been measured by onsite instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment