Sunday, April 30, 2023

decision time for the E mount

Having given up on the generational α issue (Minolta A vs. rebadged SonyAlpha bodies with E-mount), I kept watch on e-mount zoom deals. High on my list was compact and wx-resistant types, things which Sony has some but not many in my price range. My TTArtisan 21mm fails both marks but their 50mm f/2 is very compact but without seals. I'd been contemplating a 35mm but the Pentax DA35 Limited is both talented as a 35mm and a 1:1 macro lens, but it too lacks seals. 

For zooms, the internal IS system demands a focal length to optimize the stabilization per unit of twitch; that means E mount, and fully adapted A mount and Canon EF zooms* are preferred over Pentax and Nikon F. One can input an intermediate focal length or change it with each zoom action.. clearly not practical or ideal. After watching for a while I found a Sony 28-60mm retractable for decently for around $200, which is the common break line below which they are seldom seen. It is no speedy item but that's how it stays small - and users have been pretty happy with theirs.

My longer-tele dream was pretty much down to two Tamrons. Either the 28-200mm or 70-300mm would be quite portable for their range, with weather seals and quiet motors to go with good reviews.  (I had hoped the 24-105 +100-300apo Minolta team would cover this zone but adapting them to the α7ii was frustrating me no end.) First one below $400, though it could cost me other gear in exchange? 

In the end the 70-300 won out.

Finally I still had the 35mm prime slot to fill. Tiny Samyang, or wx-sealed Tamron with 1:2 closeups? Or Sony ZA, or something else? Tiny is good but seals are too.. and most of my close-up shooting is between 1:2 and 1:4. Still dithering, but leaning toward Tamron. I've added it to my kit spreadsheet to see how it looks.

* It should be noted that adapted primes are quite painless on the α bodies: just enter the focal length and have fun. That means many Pentax primes can disrupt the kit in nice ways (e.g. 28-60 + adapted PK 70+85+135).


No comments:

Post a Comment