Friday, April 28, 2023

how I do macro.

 Not an article about technique - I know nothing of it - so 'lecture over' if you dropped by for that!

I have three systems and several ways to make macros happen. For someone who very seldom finds 1:1 closeups natural, that's a decent set of choices!


  1. simple option = extension tubes. I have one for both PK and µ43, and a pair of shiny blue α extensions. That will turn the native lens of choice into a macro-equivalent lens with no bonus optics. I've seen excellent closeup images with Raynox-&c closeup diopters.. and 
  2. I have a few of those as well, come to think of it! Another simple option, and if I have a 49mm thread that will work on at least one lens in each mount. Pentax was a big 49mm fan for decades - and fast 50mm lenses that take 49mm filters for α/µ mounts too.
  3. Sigma 50/2.8 1:1 macro in PKa mount. It's an elder manual-focus design, so no loss of AF benefits on any of the mounts. For extra value, my Pixco speed-booster means it's also a 35mm f/2 macro on a µ43 body.
  4. Last and definitely not least: a Pentax DA35 f/2.8 Limited 1:1 macro. This is the highest-rated lens I own (probably ever owned) in PK mount, rated ~9½/10 at pentaxforums. First-blush shooting on my a7ii body with entire sensor shows minimal vignette at the edges, and it works fine as a 50mm/e macro in the a7 aps-c crop mode. Vignette definitely won't be a problem on the µ43 gear.




No comments:

Post a Comment