Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Major Shakeup!

I've been going through a Search phase recently, contemplating my options and placing an occasional bid on bodies that are more fully featured and modern than my classic eM1 but at an 'affordable' (=borderline-absurd) price. This means dealing with a flip-out screen, which is not my preference - but all the tip+flip screens are on current-generation bodies, and those are beyond my budget.*

I tried for a silver eM5 iii and watched for G9 and eM1.ii deals, but they stayed beyond my bidding budget. 

In the end, an all-black eM5.iii came within reach - so I reached. This has all the eM1.ii features but in a lighter body (with a smaller battery).. and the flip screen. Oh well, for all the updates gained, I can manage it.

Those updates within the 5.iii are the 4Mpx denser sensor, more touch screen uses, a high res multishot mode, AF limiter, more options for button assignment and faster processors. Oh yes, and 4k video again .. assuming I ever do so shoot video, which is an entirely different issue!

Oddly enough, I liked shooting video ~15 years ago, and the Casio P505 flip screen was a nice feature! Maybe I'll regress to 2006 instead of my early-60s childhood and adapt more quickly than I expect?

Kit Impact!

  • The Sony experiment is well and truly over with this purchase. DXO sensor rankings are too close to call between the K-s2 and the 20Mpix 4thirds (G9, eM1ii, eM5iii). The Pentax can handle the job of slide duplication at 20Mpx well enough, since the 3:2 format won't be cropped with that sensor. The manual-focus Sigma macro will stay a while also.
  • The backup 'small' body position is open! Does the gx7 make more sense there, or should the recently acquired Air A01 take that spot? Hmm.
  • I'm pretty sure that I cannot afford a better overall kit than the eM5.iii, 12-60+35-100/2.8 and my fun primes!

*Some x-T Fujis have this screen, but then wx seals and IS vanish - which I'd also regret losing. Nearly all Alphas have tip screens but the features I like come & go  with every model update. Also: living with Oly and Sony menu systems at the same time has absolutely no appeal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment