Sunday, August 6, 2023

keeping weird in my kit


I am about to give the Olympus Air A01 a try!


It's an EM10 camera within a tube - a few buttons and a µSD card slot, but a full wifi/bluetooth chat line to a local phone. It was a bargain for the feature set, but it's gained a reputation for spotty phone connections. Sure it will do fine with the 10mm fisheye so I never have to aim (or even move off a 20' focus point since it's fixed at f/5.6!) but I hope it can be happy with my Pixel5. As a simple camera for high/low perspectives and possible time as my telescope eyepiece, it's ideal. A normal microSD charge port can recharge the unit from a portable source, and it can do Live Time/Composite tricks like an eM10 and uses the talented 16Mpx sensor that gave a big boost to overall interest in the µ43 platform.

I'm thinking that the G9 is enough camera for pretty much anything - but I'll hold on to the eM1 for a little while, with its tilt screen and Oly Live features that the G9 doesn't quite duplicate. If the A01 works out, the eM1 can step aside for the next user.

This may be a weird call - but I'm not alone in seeing potential in the A01!
And of course I liked the K-01 quite a bit. So why not give it a try..

No comments:

Post a Comment